Thursday 18 October 2012

King of Horror: Misery by Stephen King

Misery by Stephen King
338 Pages
Published 1988, Signet
My rating: 4.5/5
Click below to purchase the book or the movie!

Paul Sheldon. He’s a bestselling novelist who has finally met his biggest fan. Her name is Annie Wilkes and she is more than a rabid reader–she is Paul’s nurse, tending his shattered body after an automobile accident. But she is also his captor, keeping him prisoner in her isolated house. Now Annie wants Paul to write his greatest work–just for her. She has a lot of ways to spur him on. One is a needle. Another is an ax. And if they don’t work, she can get really nasty… (From Goodreads.com )
 My Review:
I really enjoyed this one. It felt so realistic, which made it feel very creepy.
The protagonist, Paul, is an author that ends up in the care of a crazy fan/ex-nurse after being in an accident. She is nuts! Most of all, she wants him to continue writing the series of books he is known for. The set up – being trapped in a room with limited access to anything at all – feels like the story could be restrictive or drag, but it was quite the opposite. The tension and suspense was high in this one!
What I liked the most about the book was that whenever Paul was in a situation, he would think of all his options. The process of him thinking of his options felt similar to how my brain works so I felt like we were on the same page (har har puns). While reading, I would think of something and then Paul would think of it too. Then King would decide if it would work or not. It was exciting trying to figure out what to do during different situations. It made it feel like *I* was Paul and I had some crazy bitch after me. So, it felt exciting!
The amount of gore and horror was great. It was gruesome, but realistic, which is perfect for this type of story. It was also spaced nicely throughout the story. The ending was also very satisfying.


No comments:

Post a Comment